SO! When my dear Whitney (who I ate lunch right next to at The Blathering but only really have gotten to know after she went home to her own state) (WEEP) has asked for recipes because she is stuck. Stuck in a rut. Well, friend, ask and ye shall receive. Here is one of my favorites, courtesy of the Raley's "Something Extra" magazine that my mom snags for me every chance she gets.
(Pictures would require scanning and, you know, work. My apologies.)
3 dried guajillo peppers, stems & seeds removed
I've yet to actually FIND these, so I just use chipotle peppers)
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 T lime juice
mmm...zest them too...why not?
1 tsp Garlic salt
I never add salt to my recipes and it still tastes delicious
1. Puree peppers, tomatoes, onion, broth & garlic in blender until not too smooth.
2. Transfer to md saucepan, bring to boil then simmer for 20 mins.
3. While simmering, rinse & dry chicken, sprinkle with lime juice and garlic salt
4. Grill chicken until mostly cooked through, brush liberally with sauce
**I brush a small amount on the chicken before cooking. If you do this, make sure to pour some sauce into a separate bowl so that you're not dipping your raw-chickened brush back into the sauce you'll use later.**
5. Remove from grill, place on platter & cover in remaining sauce
**This sauce is HOT. Be nice to your friends and let them add their own extra sauce.**
6. Garnish with a little cilantro & lime wedges, serve with spanish rice.
MMMMMM. TRUST ME. MMMMMM.
Take my word for it when I tell you that you should make a double batch of this. The next night, cook up some pasta and you've got a ready made arrabiata sauce that won't disappoint.